Interim Guidance on Extensions for AHA Instructor & Provider Cards during COVID-19 Outbreak
With precautionary measures being taken globally to control the spread of COVID-19, and many countries and regions delaying training, the AHA has received questions from our Training Network about extensions,or “grace periods” for expirations of AHA Instructor and Provider Course Completion Cards.
Please see the AHA’s recommendations below, and please disseminate to anyone who has a business need.
• In cases where an AHA Instructor cannot conduct training due to COVID-19 (e.g., the Training Center is in an area with widespread COVID-19 cases), the AHA will allow an extension of the validity of the instructor card for 60 days.
• Management of this extension, and any record-keeping, will be the responsibility of the Training Center.
• This allowance may be extended based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat.
For AHA Provider Cards:
• The AHA recommends that employers and regulatory bodies consider extending recognition of an AHA Provider Card beyond its renewal date, for up to 60 days. However, please know that it is ultimately up to the discretion of employers and regulatory bodies who require current AHA Provider Cards to consider allowing extensions during this time.
• The AHA recommends considering extensions of up to 60 days, but this recommendation could be extended based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat.AHA Policy on Expired Cards (included in AHA Instructor Manuals)
• Excerpt from ACLS Instructor Manual:
“Students who present an expired provider card...may be allowed to take an update course but will not be given the option of remediation. These students will need to complete the entire provider course if they cannot successfully meet the full course completion requirements when tested. If the student fails any skills test, he or she should be referred back to the full ACLS Course.”
• Over the next 60 days, for providers whose cards have expired due to inability to complete training during the COVID-19 outbreak, the AHA will allow the Instructor to provide remediation during update courses.